New York, NY
Matthew Wasserman joined the firm in 2020. His areas of interest include trial, appellate, and post-conviction criminal defense as well as civil actions for prosecutorial and police misconduct.
Matt clerked for the Honorable Allyne R. Ross of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York and the Honorable Jane B. Stranch of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He also served as a staff attorney at the Office of the Appellate Defender, representing poor people convicted of felonies on direct appeal and in post-conviction proceedings. During law school, he was a student advocate in the Juvenile Defender and Civil Rights Clinics, and interned at the Orleans Public Defenders and the Southern Center for Human Rights.
Matt graduated magna cum laude from New York University School of Law in 2015, where he was a Root-Tilden-Kern scholar and an Articles Editor for the New York University Law Review. Before law school, he investigated allegations of police misconduct for the Civilian Complaint Review Board. He has a bachelor’s from Reed College and a master’s from the Sorbonne.
Matt is admitted to practice in New York State, the Eastern District of New York, the Southern District of New York, the Second Circuit, and the Sixth Circuit.
Areas Of Practice
- Civil Rights
- Criminal Defense
- New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 2015
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Root-Tilden-Kern Scholar
- Reed College
- Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable Allyne R. Ross of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, Clerk
- Honorable Jane B. Stranch of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Clerk
- Office of the Appellate Defender, Staff Attorney